Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

10 Helpful reminders

Posted on Thu, Jun 28, 2012

There are times when I just need a gentle reminder.  A little saying to help me get through the day or just the current moment.  Here are “10 Things to Remember as a Parent of a Child in Special Education” by OurCPKids. I have this list on my refrigerator to look at when needed. Number 10 is my favorite. Enjoy!

Read More

Tags: special needs, inspiration

End the R-Word

Posted on Tue, Jun 19, 2012

I heard it again last night.  The “R” word.  And it was intentionally hurtful.  I’m o.k. with the medical term “Mental Retardation” when it’s being used in the correct connotation. It’s when the pejorative forms, “retard” or “retarded” are being used to insult people with intellectual disabilities that makes me sad.  In today’s society, the “R” word has come to mean stupid or dumb and is used casually to describe not only people, but anything someone doesn’t like.

Read More

Tags: developmental disabilities, special needs, Autism

Why me?

Posted on Mon, Jun 18, 2012

“Why me?” is a question that we tend to ask ourselves when we are faced with a tragedy, unexpected diagnosis or a loss of a loved one. When I received the diagnosis of Fragile X Syndrome and Autism for Dillon, I started to question a lot of things.  I questioned God’s plan and His will for my life and the plans he had set out for Dillon.  I remember feeling so hurt, confused, scared, angry and bitter with God, myself and everyone around me.

Read More

Tags: special needs, Autism, Dillon