Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

A Mother's Perspective

Posted on Sat, May 03, 2014
Being a mother of three boys, one with special needs, and a wife to a wonderful husband have been the most challenging jobs I have ever had. I had my life planned out as soon as I graduated high school. I got married to my husband, Scott, who promised to love me and make me his world when I was 20 years old. I was a travel agent and had the opportunity to travel to some beautiful destinations. When I turned 22, I had my first born son, Peyton, who was a complete joy. I won’t lie, it was very hard to be a mother at 22, and it turned out to be a little bit more difficult than I thought it would be. While I was pregnant with my second son, Dillon, we built a house and moved in before he was born.

We welcomed Dillon into our lives in March 2001. He was such a contented baby—he hardly fussed at all, and he smiled all of the time. The only thing that was strange is that he somehow had this internal clock that would wake him up every two to three hours during the night. I started noticing something different about him when he didn’t want to explore his surroundings. He was perfectly happy laying on the floor and playing with his one favorite toy. His fists stayed closed, he didn’t coo or make baby noises, and he didn’t follow any visual movements around him. He had no interest in learning to roll over, crawl, or to sit up. I heard about a “mother’s intuition” but never realized I had it until then.

Read More