Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

The bond between brothers…

Posted on Mon, Jul 22, 2013

The love between brothers…

brother bondMy son Colin, at the young age of nine, continues to be his big brother’s protector. I’ve noticed that he is acutely aware of his surroundings when he’s with Dillon, protecting him by being one step ahead.  I asked him what it’s like to have a brother with Fragile X and his reply was, “It’s awesome, fun, interesting, annoying, difficult, but mostly fun.”

Peyton is kind and empathetic, accepting Dillon for who he is as an individual. When we were vacationing in the Dells this past week, I watched them playing together in the pool. They played like no one was watching. They were tickling one another and going under the water together; entangled in each other’s bodies. I saw Peyton pretending to take off his braces and then “placing” them on Dillon’s teeth, which made Dillon laugh and laugh. Dillon rubbed his teeth trying to take them off. It was so cute! They have a special communication with the noises that they make and the looks that they give each other that only they hold the key to it’s meaning. The bond that is forming between my three boys is simply inspiring, which gives me hope. I pray that it continues to grow.

This video is a beautiful example of the bond between brothers…unconditional love. Please watch and share!

Jackie

Tags: special needs, inspiration, Autism