Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Finding your value…

Posted on Fri, Oct 18, 2013

I just have to share with you what I saw today.  I went to Wal-Mart this morning in my jammies. Yes, I did! And I’m not ashamed of it at all! It actually felt good to go somewhere wearing my comfy clothes.  I did it all the time when I was a stay-at-home mom and had no time or energy to take a shower in the morning, to put on some nice clothes (which I didn’t have), and to put my “face” on.  I wasn’t rushed today so I took my time. And I noticed a couple of things that made me think and see and then become grateful for.

I was in the snack aisle and a mother wrestling with her two boys caught my eye.  She noticed me as well and we instantly connected. She smiled and we started talking about the joys of raising boys. It was such a wonderful conversation and I left feeling uplifted. The mood changed a bit when a couple aisles down I saw someone that I knew, professional speaking, and my heart just sank. I thought to myself, “Ugh, look how I’m dressed! This person will not give me the time of day!” And sure enough that person looked at me and turned away.  I felt sad right after feeling uplifted only moments ago.  And then it was check-out time and there was an employee that approached me and started to share with me her story.  She’s a single mother of two girls working part time. She also volunteers at the local food pantry and at her church. She said that it’s hard at times making ends meet, but she loves her life.  And it was in that moment that I realized something, she found her value… When I was a stay-at-home mom, I felt so devalued in society’s eyes.  I would hear the comments, “You’re just a stay at home mom?”  It made me feel like I was wasting my life away being a mom, a wife, and a home-maker when I knew that wasn’t true.  And then when I worked on a Psychiatric unit as a CNA, I repeatedly heard the comment, “You’re just a CNA?” That comment made me feel like I was uneducated and not worthy of working there and yet it was the best four years of my life.

For years, I battled with either finding my value in society or finding my value in God’s eyes. It was so hard for me to stop the lies that I was hearing from others and from what I was telling myself from penetrating my soul. Those lies left me feeling very alone… Actually, I think I’ll always have that struggle.  But here’s the thing! Finding your value in society you will come to realize that you are never going to be good enough, smart enough, and worthy enough because you will be constantly comparing yourself to others. It’s in our sinful nature to do just that. However, when you find your value in Christ, He will tell you and show you that you are good enough, smart enough, and worth so much more than you could ever realize. He’ll tell you that it makes no difference what job description you have, what title you have on your business card, what you are wearing on any given day, or what cognitive ability you have or may or may not have; He values and treasures you!

“Love your neighbor as yourself”…Mark 12:31

We are all worthy of each other’s love, respect, time, kindness, compassion, patience, and understanding no matter what!  We are all one in Christ!  It’s a good reminder for all of us on the many different walks of life that we are on.

Thanks for listening,

Jackie

Tags: developmental disabilities, inspiration, Autism