Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

What will happen when I'm gone?

Posted on Thu, Jan 09, 2014

Dear Friends,

I just have to share with you what I saw yesterday at Sheboygan Lutheran High School. 

As I was standing in front of the student body sharing the ministry of New Friends, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace.  As I looked into the eyes of the next generation of change, they were speaking to me. I could feel it, but I didn't know what was silently being said.

After my sharing, a group of teens approached me and shared with me their own personal journeys and life experiences. I was touched beyond words. God was speaking to me through them. 

There were two teens that shared with me that their families both own group homes. And that living with adults with developmental and physical disabilities, who are unable to care for themselves and live on their own, has taught them a lot about life.  They also shared that they don't view them as being different; they’re family. One teen wishes to own his own group home one day. Three other teens shared with me what they are already doing for kids and adults with special needs because they want to and not because it is required of them. They were thanking me for speaking to them when I was in the presence of my heroes.

As Dillon's mom, there is not a day that goes by where my heart does not ache wondering what will happen to him when I'm gone.  Who will take care of him? Where will he live?  And yet, yesterday, in that moment, I felt peace... God was speaking to me through these beautiful souls and he showed me what WILL happen when i'm gone. He showed me who he'll work through to love and to care for Dillon, to be his friend, and to give him a home.  

I will treasure this moment forever,
Jackie

This video has touched me and it shows the great need of homes for those with disabiliites that are unable to live on their own.  Bless those who develop homes for our kids and who care for them now and when we're gone.