Air Force Flight Instructor and Pilot Calls Belle Plaine Home

As a young boy, when Clarence Francis heard an airplane fly by, he ran outside and stared as it soared through the sky. He hollered, “Give me a ride!” His fascination with airplanes clearly began at a young age.

Read More

Army Truck Driver Finds Home in Belle Plaine

Bill Fabel spent about 15 months overseas during his service to our country. He served in the United States Army from 1958 to 1961. “It was a good experience, but I was glad to be home,” he explained.

Read More

Army Veteran and Local Teacher Continue to Educate Others in Woodworking Classes

Orville “Ollie” Heitkamp decided to join the military following his college graduation from St. Thomas University in 1952. In January 1953, he volunteered for the United States Army. After completing basic training, he attended advanced training and became a radio operator. Ollie reported to Camp Stoneman in California and was assigned to duty overseas in Korea.

Read More

Music Makes an Army Veteran Dance

Willard Bardon was only 18 years old when he was drafted into the United States Army. He attended basic training at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin focused on learning how to build bridges.

Read More

Army Veteran Retires at Kingsway Retirement Living

Gordon “Gordy” Berge had one main reason for joining the United States Army: he couldn’t find another job. Following his enlistment, Gordy attended basic training in Kansas before he was transferred to Hawaii for more training in communications.

Read More

Military Para-Jumper Learned a Lesson about Respect

Even though it’s been more than 50 years, Joe Hawkins still remembers his first jump as a member of the 11th Airborne Division, a United States Army airborne formation.

Read More

Veteran Returns to River Falls to Be Close to Family

For 8 years, 4 months, and 16 days, William Ray served in the National Guard. He enlisted and joined a unit in River Falls, Wisconsin, when he was a sophomore in high school. Following graduation, he moved to the West Coast and joined the 146th Evacuation Hospital, which is part of the California National Guard.

Read More

Veteran Band Member Still Playing a Trombone

Bob Trautloff may be over 90 years old but that doesn’t stop him from doing much. Bob is currently playing his bass trombone as a member of several bands, including the Minnesota River Valley Wind Ensemble.

Read More

College Degree Made Possible Through the Military

For Tim Tillman, being in the United States Army enabled him to earn a college education. “My parents couldn’t afford to put me though college and working as a head chef in a kitchen helped me get by but it didn’t pay for my college. The military enabled me to go to college and have many good experiences,” Tim explained.

Read More

Heritage Homes Resident Serves His Country and Team

Before Harold Bobrofksy joined the military, he felt he was helping the World War II effort by working in a machine shop and learning about metal products. After the start of the war, the company switched to making parts for submarines.

Read More