2011 Summer Ministry Experience

Expanding the experience in SME…

Posted on Fri, Jun 24, 2011

It’s been a fun three weeks so far.  Wednesday was a picnic in Glencoe, Minnesota.  Some of the residents from The Lutheran Home: Hope Residence in Belle Plaine were there, and it was fun to get to see them again!  It’s amazing how close we are growing to the people we serve, even if we only spend a few days with them.  Even more amazing is how they remember us.  We haven’t seen these residents for a couple weeks, but we still were able to talk about “that one time we played Yahtzee” or “when I won Wii bowling”. 

Our skits, which are coming along nicely, were especially appreciated by the residents who knew us during our training.  I think that we were all proud to show them how much progress we’ve made, and I hope they know that our growth is because of some of them.

This summer is not just about learning how to serve people with disabilities.  Each day, we have been faced with difficulties amongst our own group.  We are slowly learning how to work together in kindness and love, regardless of conflict or differences of opinion.  It’s a struggle, to say the least.  I know that this is a lesson that we all must learn in order to become the servants that God wants us to be, but that doesn’t make it easier to face.  We all come from different walks of life, are bearing different crosses and are learning how to work together with those differences.

On a lighter note, we have had quite a few laughs.  For example: How many SMEs does it take to spell “Yahtzee”?  The answer is four.  Then there’s the single SME who had the misfortune of getting lost on a six-mile run, which then turned into a 16-mile run.  We laughed then, too, but this SME will never live down the nickname “Forest”.  Overall, we enjoy laughing at ourselves and each other.

Tags: Jesus Cares Ministries, Summer Ministry Experience