Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

I’m Twelve!!

Posted on Mon, Mar 11, 2013

Dear Dillon,

It was your birthday on Saturday and during the day you had special visitors come over to wish you a happy birthday. It made me think of the many people you have touched in as little as twelve years. Do you even realize it? Do you know that with your beautiful smile you can erase someone’s worries and replace it with hope and joy?

Life with you has been such a journey filled with many unexpected blessings and tough challenges.  There were moments during the day that I couldn’t help but wonder what life would have been like if Fragile X was not in our genes. But, it doesn’t pay to go down that road because it’s just a part of us. You and me. When I find myself on that road, the only way to get off or take a detour is to picture your smile and God’s promise to you.

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139: 13-14

Happy birthday, my sweet Dillon. I am so grateful that I was chosen to be your mom.  And I promise to be the mom you need me to be for as long as God wants me to be.

Love you… Mom

I wanted to share with you a moment with Dillon that simply touched my heart.  This is the very first year that he has expressed to us that he knows how old he is and he shared it with such joy, along with his love of cheese crackers and chips. He is so cute.

Tags: special needs, Autism