Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Yesterday’s unexpected blessings…

Posted on Fri, Mar 01, 2013

So, yesterday Dillon’s bus slid into the ditch and ended up rolling over on its side. I was so scared for him and so relieved to find out he was okay. Throughout the day I was anxiously waiting for him to come home and when I saw him step off the bus with one of his big smiles my heart just melted. I love his smile.

He tried to wiggle his way out of our hug, but I wasn’t ready to let go after only two seconds. He said, “Hi Momma!” while tossing his jacket on the floor. He then continued on with his normal routine closing all the doors and turning off the lights in the house. I followed him asking, “What happened today?” He said, “Bus!” I asked, “What happened to the bus?” He replied, “Bus break!” I said, “Oh no! Are you okay?” He didn’t say anything at first but he started to giggle a little. I looked at him and asked him again if he was okay and he said, “Elevator rides!!” Hilarious!! His aide shared with me earlier in the day that he was a little shook up when he got to school so they let him take as many elevator rides as he wanted to. And the next words to come out were, “Chips please!” I had to laugh and it felt good. I then checked him over and he was truly okay.

I am so happy that I blogged about it yesterday. I received so much support, words of wisdom, and many unexpected phone calls. There were three scripture verses that gave me strength, comfort and peace throughout the day. They were…

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” Matthew 11:28 …I took a walk with God and prayed.

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7…A good friend taught me how to cast my worries and give them to the Lord so that’s exactly what I did.

“Be still, and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10…Knowing that Dillon has an sovereign God that is always with him, brought the ultimate comfort and peace.

There were so many unexpected blessings yesterday and so much to be thankful for. Thank you all for your amazing support and comforting words. You are all such a blessing to my family.

Jackie

Tags: special needs, Autism