Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Elevator Ride!

Posted on Thu, Feb 14, 2013

Dillon and I had a very special moment that I have to share!

A couple of weeks ago we were both sick with a bad cold virus. Feeling pretty crabby, achy and very tired; we enjoyed a day at home. And while we were lying on the couch trying to get comfortable, he asked me a question. He said, “Daddy home?” I said, “No, Daddy’s at work.” He asked, “Church today?”

My heart just warmed and I replied, “Nope, no church today honey.” I looked at him and wondered why he was asking to go to church so I asked him and he replied, “Elevator ride!” I just shook my head and said, “Dillon! We don’t go to church to ride elevators. Ugh!”

And then he said, “Elevator ride……with Jesus!” Hello!!! I was not expecting to hear that response.

It was the first time he ever mentioned Jesus. I was so unbelievably touched and my anxious heart, from being sick and filled with daily worry, was immediately calmed. He’s right! Jesus is with him in the elevator and everywhere else he goes. It was a beautiful conversation that I will hold near to my heart.

Enjoy this small video clip of Dillon in his “pretend” elevator. Brittany, one of his in-home autism therapists, recorded this at her house. You’ll hear her tender voice towards Dillon, while he is giving her Mom and Grandma a ride in the elevator. It’s a great video that shows his awesome imagination along with the kindness and love shown to him by an amazing family.

We are truly blessed to have them in our lives!

God’s blessings to you and your family,
Jackie

Tags: special needs, Autism