Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Thanking God this morning…

Posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2013

So, this morning I received that dreaded phone call that no parent ever wants to receive and that’s to tell me that Dillon was in an accident.  Dillon’s bus slid into the ditch and turned over on its side.  I spoke with both the sheriff and his aid and they both informed me that everyone is okay and no one was hurt.  She asked Dillon if he wanted to speak to me on the phone and of course he refused.  Thankfully, I could hear his sweet voice in the background to reassure my heart that he truly was okay.  Another bus came to pick them up to take them to school.  He has a half a day today so he will be home soon.

But now I’m sitting here and my mind is racing and I feel so sad!  Is he really okay? Did he hit his head on the window? He must have been so scared. I thought about going to school and picking him up but I know as soon as I get there he’ll be upset because I’m not supposed to be at school and it’ll just do more harm than good. And when he gets home I’m going to want to talk to him, but he’s not able to tell me how he feels and where it hurts if he’s hurt.  And since Dillon has such a high pain tolerance it’s not like he will cry and message a certain part of his body that would show me where it hurts.  I wish I could have a typical conversation with him like I can with Peyton and Colin.  He won’t be able to tell me the details of what happened and what he was feeling at the time.  This is so hard!!! 

I am so thankful that God and his army of angels kept him safe today and regardless of how much Dillon does not like to be touched he is going to get one massive hug from me when he gets home. 

Thanks for listening,
Jackie

Tags: special needs, Autism