Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Dear Dillon

Posted on Mon, Nov 05, 2012

Dear Dillon,

For years and years I have been dreaming of place that would be created just for you and kids like you. A place where there would be no judgments, false assumptions, looks and stares. It would be an atmosphere of complete love and acceptance. And when you would walk into this place you would feel like you’re walking into a loving embrace. It would be a place where parents could come together to support each other by offering words of comfort and encouragement. I even named it, “Dillon’s World.” A world created just for you. Having you as my son has opened my heart and eyes to see and feel many things. Some things I just don’t want to see anymore, because it hurts so much. The ugliness of people’s hearts and actions and how it has such a profound effect on people, especially those who are living with some form of a disability, just breaks my heart.

I have come to the realization again that a place that I’ve been longing for and dreaming about does not and will not exist on this earth. It’s a painful realization, but a fact. We live in a fallen world, where people are going to hurt each other and it’s going to be a struggle everyday.

The good news is that my dream for you has already come true. The place that I have been longing for already exists! It’s a place that is absolutely perfect with no pain or suffering, judgments, or mistreatment, only love, acceptance and praise. And you know what else? I get a glimpse of this place in your smile, in your laugh and the way you love unconditionally. I see a slice of Heaven when I see the kindness and love shown by people that genuinely care about you and each other. I know in my heart, that with God’s help, anything is possible.

So for now, I’ll try to be the best mom I can be and ask the Lord for the strength to keep moving forward.

Love you bunches,
Mom

Tags: special needs, Autism, Dillon