Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

Daddy Look! A worm! I got a worm!

Posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2012

Autism and Special Needs ChildrenDuring the summer months, my husband will quite frequently take all three boys fishing on his 16 ft. boat. And quite honestly, I don’t know how he does it. Talk about extreme patience! One day I was brave enough to join them and I just watched as he was constantly changing lures, untangling lines, playing referee between our oldest Peyton and our youngest Colin, and making sure Dillon stays in the boat. It’s actually very entertaining.

Scott and Peyton will watch patiently as the fish circle their lure, Colin will cast out his lure in hopes of catching a bigger fish than Peyton and then there is Dillon. Dillon will cast out his worm and the second it touches the water, he reels it in and when the worm finally reaches the boat he’ll say, “Daddy look!..A worm!….I got a worm Daddy!” And he is so excited! Scott will smile and say, “Wow, good job Dillon!” And then Dillon will cast out his worm again and again. After about the twentieth time of reeling in his worm, Colin will roll his eyes and say, “Yes Dillon!…It’s a worm!…but you’re supposed to get a fish!” And then we’ll all start laughing.

Aren’t we like that? In life… we cast out our lines hoping to get that big fish, rather, that big career, nice income, beautiful home, or whatever else we think will make us happy. And we cast, and cast, and cast. Then, when we don’t get what we want, we find ourselves complaining, getting frustrated, and feel like calling it quits. Yet, we have such an awesome and loving God that continues to give and give and give! He tells us to be thankful and content with the blessings that He has given us.

So, if God wants us to get that big fish, we’ll get it, right? And if not, we should just be happy with a worm. Thank you boys for a very memorable fishing experience.

Jackie

Tags: special needs, Autism, Dillon