Dear Dillon and Michael,
Today is National Fragile X Awareness Day. Here are some facts that I share with others that want to know more about Fragile X Syndrome.
- Fragile X is caused by one gene not working properly.
- This gene, FMR1, shuts down and fails to produce a vital protein.
- 1 in 4000 boys and 1 in 6000 girls are affected with Fragile X.
- It’s the leading cause of mental impairment ranging from learning problems to mental retardation.
- It causes behavioral challenges such as anxiety and hyperactivity.
- It’s the most common known genetic cause of Autism.
- It also causes seizures in some children and adults.
And this is what my sister and I want you to know……
- If we could wave a magic wand and cure this disorder…..we would.
- We need you two to sleep through the night more than twice a year….Come on boys!
- When the two of you get together you fill the room with joy, tears, laughter and sometimes…complete frustration.
- We feel your anxiety in every situation and we feel completely helpless when we can’t comfort you or make it all better.
- You two have touched so many lives; more lives than we will ever know.
- You two have a huge support system from your family and friends that love you and will always be there for you.
- And most importantly…..God knew exactly what he was doing when he formed you and he has wonderful plans already laid out for you into the future.
I love you both,
Mom and Auntie Jackie