Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

The first big events…perspective from a team member.

Posted on Thu, Jun 23, 2011

Earlier this week we were staying in Watertown, South Dakota and Monday night we had our first actual Jesus Cares visit to a church.  This church has had a Jesus Cares Program for about 11 years, so it was a great opportunity to see what this program can grow into.

We spent most of the day fine-tuning (intensely practicing, actually) one of our skits for tonight and the rest of the summer.  After our long week of camp, most of us would have preferred to rest a little bit more.  We just had to push through in order to be prepared, though.  The event went well, I believe.  It was easy to tell that this Jesus Cares community is close-knit, and that much of the staff has taken the time to get to know the participants.  Everyone was excited to have visitors (us) and we were graciously welcomed.  We started by having a craft project available for anyone that was interested.  For those that wanted to be in the spotlight for a few minutes we also had karaoke set up.  Both were a great hit, but the karaoke was especially popular.  After dinner, we had a Worship at the Cross service.  This is a type of service that is adapted to be beneficial for individuals with developmental disabilities.  As a group, this was our first time helping with a full service.  Our main job, besides participating, is to put on a skit to illustrate the story and theme.  We did our “Jesus Calms the Storm” skit.  Personally, I think that our boat and water effects were rather impressive.  It’s amazing what you can do with a table, sheets, and a walking stick.  We all really appreciated seeing the audience enjoy our efforts; it made all of the work we’ve been doing worth it.

It’s safe to say that we are all exhausted.  We were able to relax a little bit and enjoy a bonfire before we had to get back to work this morning.  As much as I would like to say that tonight we can rest some more, unfortunately we still have a ton of work to get done before our event tomorrow.  We will be doing a full three skits, music, activities, and crafts for about three hours.  It’s going to be a long few days, but I’m sure that the people we will meet and learn from will be well worth it!

Tags: TLHA, Jesus Cares Ministries, Summer Ministry Experience