Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

I survived my first “Sit and Knit!”

Posted on Thu, May 23, 2013

Last week one of my best friends once again knew exactly what I needed to lift my spirits up…An afternoon with girlfriends. She invited me over to her home to have lunch and then to enjoy each other’s company while we “sit and knit” Only, I didn’t know who any of these women were and I’m completely ignorant in the knitting arena, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

After laughs and a wonderful lunch, these beautiful women brought out their bags full of yarn and their knitting tools and they started to work. My girlfriend gave me the cutest purple knitting tool ever (I can’t remember what it’s called) and I managed to knit a single row and I was so excited only to look up to find everyone had knitted 4-5 squares in the time it took me to knit a single row. I had to laugh at myself. But let me share with you what else I saw…

These women come together to support and encourage each other while creating beautiful pieces of artwork to be used by the most vulnerable in our community. They are so humble and receive no credit for their time. One woman’s hands cramped up at least three times and the pain that she must of felt! Unbelievable, but she kept on knitting while they all could relate. I looked at them and what they were creating and I was so touched. I envisioned a child without a home wearing a beautiful pair of footies and an abused woman holding a soft piece of yarn to her face that will bring her hope.

May God continue to bless this special group of women that come together in love to serve their Lord. It’s because of their love for each other and for those in need that so many people in need of hope will receive it.

Jackie

“In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.” Proverbs 31: 19-20

Tags: fellowship