Ask Jackie: Unexpected Blessings

A Moment in Walmart

Posted on Fri, Jul 05, 2013

So the other day I was in the check-out aisle in Wal-Mart by myself with two people ahead of me. Was I in a hurry? No way! I was enjoying the fact that I was by myself so I patiently waited for my turn. Then I look up and I saw her. It was me eight years ago. She was tired and anxious. I could see it in her eyes. She had two small boys, one hanging on her leg and the other crying in the cart. She fumbled through her purse and took out her W.I.C. coupons and handed them to the cashier. What was she feeling? I can tell you how I felt years ago. I felt ashamed, embarrassed and sad. But yet extremely grateful that there were programs available to help young families that were struggling. Scott and I are very thankful that there was help when we needed it. Yet every time I was in that aisle, I could feel the looks, stares, and assumptions from the people behind me. Were they thinking that I was abusing the system? Or, that I was possibly too lazy to find a job and that if I couldn’t afford to have kids I shouldn’t have them. Probably!

And then I saw another person, an angel…the Cashier. She gave the mother a smile and said, “You are a good mom.” And the relief that the woman had on her face and throughout her body was priceless. It warmed my heart. She paid for her groceries, gathered up her boys and off she went.

You see angels are everywhere and looking back when I was in that situation there was always someone walking by that gave me a smile or a helping hand and I know in my heart that God was using those people to tell me that He was there. And that I was not alone and everything was going to be okay.

“For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” Psalm 91:11

Jackie

Tags: inspiration