2010 News Stories

Hope residents compete in 2010 Special Olympics

Posted on Tue, May 11, 2010

Hope Residence Special OlympicsBelle Plaine, MN—Nine residents from The Lutheran Home: Hope Residence competed in the Area 9 Special Olympics on Sunday, May 2, at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota.

Jacob Bartels, Emily Ewald, Mark Johnson, Francis Mueller, Shannon Noll, Dean Olson, Julie Kobs, Paul Hagen and Rita Brittan participated in the softball and tennis ball throws and the 25 and 50-meter walks. All of the athletes received ribbons for finishing in first through fifth places and are proud of their accomplishments. Dean stated “I’m a winner” as both of his ribbons were pinned on his chest.

Specialy Olympics MinnesotaSarah Beckius, Hannah Beckius, Crystal Schultz, Jan Terhark and Deb Wirt, who work at The Lutheran Home Campus in Belle Plaine, were among the coaches and volunteers attending Special Olympics with the athletes. Jan shared, “It was amazing what our residents could do and how excited they all were to participate.” Many family members and friends joined the coaches and volunteers to cheer on the athletes.

Area 9 Special Olympics has a firm commitment to provide the athletes with meaningful opportunities to practice and compete, and Special Olympics Minnesota offers individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities year-round sports training and competition. The Special Olympics oath is “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”

Residents of Hope Residence have been competing in the Special Olympics since 1982. To learn more about Hope Residence, which has served the community for 30 years, contact Debra Wilbright, Administrator, at (952) 873-2142 or e-mail dwilbright@tlha.org.

Tags: Hope Residence, Minnesota, Special Olympics