2012 News Stories

Hope residents compete in Special Olympics

Posted on Fri, Mar 09, 2012

Special Olympics 2012Belle Plaine, MN— Thirteen residents from The Lutheran Home: Hope Residence competed in the Area 9 Special Olympic athletics competition on Sunday, May 6th at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota.

Residents included Lindsay Atwater, Kenny Cutlip, Julie Kobs, Craig Applegate, Emily Ewald, Shannon Noll, Gloria Paul, Paul Hagen, Robert Hoppmann, Sean O’Neil, Francis Mueller, Linda Savage and Beth Schuelein.  Residents participated in the softball throw, the tennis ball throw, a 10 m wheelchair walk, a 25 m wheelchair walk, a 25 m walk and a 50 m walk.  All athletes received ribbons for finishing first through sixth places.

The oath for Special Olympics is “Let me win, but if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt”. Their mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with mental disabilities.

Sarah Beckius, a staff member from The Lutheran Home, shared that Kenny Cutlip has been participating with the Special Olympics for close to 30 years. Kenny participated in the softball and tennis ball throws and was all smiles as he received his ribbon on the winner’s stand.

Residents of Hope Residence have been completing in the Special Olympics since 1982.  To learn more about Hope Residence, contact Debra Wilbright, administrator, at 952-873-2142, email dwilbright@tlha.org.

Tags: TLHA, Belle Plaine, Special Olympics