BELLE PLAINE, MINN. February 8, 2019— The Lutheran Home Association (TLHA), a non-profit health care and disability ministry, recently added new members to its Board of Directors. At the annual meeting, Chairman Arvid Schwartz welcomed the following new members:
- Jon Maertz, New Berlin, Wis. Maertz, has more than 20 years of experience in the financial services and benefits industry working specifically with retirement plans. Due to his parents Howard and Gertrude, Jon has long connections to TLHA. Howard served as a development director in the 1990's. After retirement, the couple resided at TLHA’s Heritage Homes in Watertown, Wis. and Gertrude resided at TLHA’s Kingsway Retirement Living in Belle Plaine. They have both been called home to heaven. Jon is a past Chairman and long-standing member of the Alumni Board for Wisconsin Lutheran College.
- Lance Schwartz, Mankato, Minn. Schwartz is currently the Director of Institutional Communication at Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato. Lance is the son of Arvid and Judy Schwartz, longtime volunteers and supporters of TLHA. Lance will be beneficial to further developing TLHA’s relationship with Bethany College in their nursing program and other areas of recruitment.
During the meeting, Chairman Arvid Schwartz retired after 18 years of service on the Board of Directors.
“Arvid’s service as chairman of the Board could only be described as outstanding. His impact and leadership has been second to none. During the meeting, it was my privilege and honor to recognize his years of service and contributions to TLHA.” said Michael Klatt, President and Chief Executive Officer of TLHA. “With Arvid’s retirement, Lowell was unanimously voted into the chairman role. We welcome his engagement and experience as we continue to serve seniors and individuals with special needs.”
Following Arvid’s retirement, the newly elected executive committee includes:
- Lowell Hoffman, Chairman
- Pastor Matt Rauh, Vice Chair
- Tim Schuth, Treasurer
- Lance Schwartz, Secretary
“As I welcome the role of chairman, it is with sadness that we say goodbye and good luck to Arvid,” said newly elected chairman, Lowell Hoffman. “The board is committed to supporting the ministry, leadership team and team members.”
Previously, Hoffman had served Vice Chair on the Board of Directors. He is the retired principal of the Belle Plaine School District. Pastor Rauh is the longest serving member of the Board of Directors and has served as Secretary for many years. He is currently pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran in Arlington, Minn. Schuth, returning as the board's treasurer, is a partner at Schad, Lindstrand & Schuth, Inc., an accounting firm in Glencoe, Minn.
In his first year on the Board, Lance Schwartz will fill the role of Secretary.
During the meeting, the board and executive team reviewed the previous year’s successes. In the last fiscal year, through our care communities and programs, TLHA impacted 7,090 lives.
- TLHA shared stories of our resident and team member Veterans.
- TLHA saw a resident’s family support our team members with a scholarship.
- TLHA rejoiced in the baptism of 13 Jesus Cares Ministries participants, all belonging to one family.
- TLHA celebrated our 120th anniversary, hosting an event honoring our ministry and our military and Christian heritage.
The annual report shares stories of how TLHA makes a difference in the lives of seniors and individuals with developmental disabilities.
With the celebrated success of 2018, the Board identified the 2019 ministry focus areas; these include continued growth and development, increased contributions and improved financials.